From a vaste palette of florals to fresh fruity notes, my favourite season when it comes to fragrances has arrived – and this first month of spring is bringing us some fantastic olfactive newbies. Are you ready to discover eleven of the most interesting fragrances that are hitting the stores right now? Here we go:
MON GUERLAIN BY GUERLAIN
- The scent in 3 words : floral – oriental – feminine
- The notes : The head notes are lavender and bergamot ; the heart notes are jasmine samba and iris ; the base notes are sandalwood, vanilla and coumarin (warm notes of tobacco with caramelic overtones).
- The bottle : Simple and graphic, the design of the quadrilobe bottle was taken from the brand’s archives (1908!) and was enhanced by a golden adornment, giving it a luxurious twist. I like the fact that the bottle comes without a label, simply bearing the name of house of Guerlain, allowing it to feel like a special object that belongs solely to the wearer – as mine is personalized I feel it even closer.
- ++ This was without doubt one of the much anticipated fragrance this season thanks to the brand’s ad campaign featuring Angelina Jolie, the new face of Mon Guerlain. My personal level of excitement reached it’s top when I received the new fragrance with my name engraved on it during this Paris Fashion Week. Merci merci.
ROSE EXTASE BY NINA RICCI
- The scent in 3 words : sweet – musky – girly
- The notes : The head notes are red berries ; the heart notes are rose and raspberry ; the base notes are musk, vanilla, amberwood.
- The bottle : Inspired by a Nina Ricci iconic clutch, the design of this fragrance is a pebble shaped bottle in an opaque baby pink color with contrasting golden details and a black satin ribbon as a rock’n’roll touch.
FLEUR MUSK BY NARCISO RODRIGUEZ
- The scent in 3 words : floral – warm – musky
- The notes : The head note is pink pepper ; the heart notes are rose, peony and musk ; the base notes are patchouli, amber and violet.
- The bottle : A solid glass rectangle in a vivid resounding pink – like in the whole NR perfume collection the inside of the bottle is opaque, remember when I reviewed the Narciso Poudrée?
FLOWERBOMB BLOOM BY VIKTOR&ROLF
- The scent in 3 words : fresh – fruity – sweet
- The notes : The head notes are pomegranate and mandarin orange ; the heart notes are rose, freesia, jasmine and mountain air (yes you read that right, this new “liquid air” accord imitates the freshness of the air on a mountain top); the base note is wood.
- The bottle : The bottle design is an elongated version of the original Flowerbomb : a transparent grenade-shaped glass bottle with the brand’s iconic seal logo in black.
EVENING ROSE D’OR BY AERIN
- The scent in 3 words : oriental – floral – sensual
- The notes : The head notes are blackberry, glitchy, red pepper ; the heart notes are roses (Bulgarian & May) and honey; the base notes are incense, patchouli, amber and leather.
- The bottle : Coming in a thick, golden glass bottle with a purple gem-like stone as a stopper, this bottle design is identical to the original Aerin fragrance line, with the exception of it being golden in honor of the new d’Or collection.
- ++ This new d’Or line is made of Aerin Lauder’s three favorite fragrances (Evening Rose, Amber Musk and Tangier Vanille) that are revamped into golden gems with various new notes.
LE PARFUM RESORT COLLECTION BY ELIE SAAB
- The scent in 3 words : sweet – floral – light
- The notes : The head notes are frangipani and mandarin ; the heart notes are pomegranate, orange blossom and jasmine sambac ; the base note is the Indonesian patchouli leaf
- The bottle : This limited edition fragrance comes housed in a gorgeous cut crystal bottle with a tangerine tint.
DARJEELING TEA COLOGNE BY JO MALONE
- The scent in 3 words : floral – smooth – unisex
- The notes : The notes are jasmine, freesia, white flowers, artemisia and davana (an Indian herb that has a fruity note that is quite similar to apricot).
- The bottle : Standing out from the other Jo Malone lines, the Rare Teas are housed in new architectural-looking bottles with large magnetized pebbles as stoppers.
- ++ With this new Rare Teas collection, Jo Malone extends it’s Cologne range and offers to it’s customers a selection of six luxurious scents. Mine, the Darjeeling Tea, is made of actual tea coming from the foothills of the Himalayas.
EAU DE KARMA HAPPINESS BY THOMAS SABO
- The scent in 3 words : citrusy – musky – light
- The notes : The head notes are bergamot, grapefruit, green tea and mandarine ; the heart notes are rose, neroli and peach ; the base notes are amber, musk and cedar
- The bottle : The bottle itself is of a minimalistic milky white but just like Eau de Karma, Karma Happiness has a large stopper in form of an Om-bead (but this time coming in golden) and a real white quartz stone within the bottle – this one is believed to bring harmony to it’s holder.
LIGHT BLUE EAU INTENSE BY DOLCE&GABBANA
- The scent in 3 words : citrusy – fresh – salty
- The notes : The head notes are lemon and apple ; the heart notes are jasmine and marigold (a flower with a musky scent) ; the base notes are amberwood and musk
- The bottle : A very geometrical, rectangle shaped bottle in light blue shade with silver details and a frosted effect.
BLACK OPIUM FLORAL SHOCK BY YVES SAINT LAURENT
- The scent in 3 words : sweet – fruity – sexy
- The notes : The head notes are bergamot, lemon, pear and freesia ; the heart notes are gardenia, orange blossom and white flowers ; the base notes are amberwood, musk and coffee
- The bottle : If you already know the original Black Opium by YSL this one will not come as a surprise as it keeps it’s shape and design, but Floral Shock distinguishes itself by the fact that it’s black sparkles disappear at the bottom of the bottle to reveal the pink color of the fragrance.
- ++ This is the actually smell of one of my fave mascaras, The Shock by YSL.
EAU FLORALE SWISS ARMY BY VICTORINOX
- The scent in 3 words : fresh – feminine – light
- The notes : The head notes are blackcurrant, peach, pink grapefruit and mandarin ; the heart notes are peony, jasmine petals and violet ; the base notes are cedar wood and white musks.
- The bottle : The packaging of this Eau Florale is very dressy, contrasts with Victorinox’s usual minimalistic designs and is, in my opinion, the fragrance’s weak point – the main shades are some 50s-like pink and turquoise and the key detail is the little chiffon flower that can be removed and worn as a ring.
Pictures : Charles Legrand
Sponsored products and non-sponsored content